Sunday, January 5, 2014

George Reeves At 100


George Reeves died when I was less than 1 year old but he's been my hero my entire life. I can't even remember a time when I wasn't a fan of TV's ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN. I knew the TV Superman long before I ever saw the comic book version.


George was quite a good actor and famously appeared in GONE WITH THE WIND but his career proceeded down to B movies from there.




Then came Superman with Reeves replacing Kirk Alyn as the character moved from serial to series. Although it was a kids show from the beginning, the first season black and white episodes had more of a Noir feel that was later purposely lost.


The revelation in the series was Clark Kent. Unlike the character in all other versions, George Reeves' version was a hard-hitting reporter and not really all that meek and mild-mannered at all! Plus, he could really rock a hat! If anything, I liked Clark more than Superman!



1 comment:

  1. Great blog! I was born in 1958 and George Reeves was the only Superman for me. I used to run around the yard with my whitey tighties worn on the outside of my jeans and a towel tied around my neck. Mom was afraid the neighbors would think she was raising a little nut.

    ReplyDelete